Created on Thursday, 13 June 2013 15:33
Boone Fire Department personnel discovered a homemade explosive device near a fire hydrant off of Lady Slipper Lane in Boone on Tuesday at approximately 4:15 p.m., according to a press release from the Boone Police Department.
The device was found during routine fire hydrant maintenance. Boone Police, Fire and the Wilkes County Sheriff's Office EOD/Bomb Squad units responded to the scene.
The device was neutralized and turned over to the bomb squad for disposal. The investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Created on Wednesday, 12 June 2013 18:45
Investigations continued Wednesday into the three deaths in room 225 of the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza with the help of additional agencies.
Town of Boone investigators were assisted by investigators from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the N.C. State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors and said based on preliminary results that the source of elevated carbon monoxide levels are from the pool water heater located directly below the hotel room, according to a press release from the Boone Police Department issued Wednesday.
The investigation showed the heater had several deficiencies and possible entries in the hotel room for the carbon monoxide included an opening underneath the gas fireplace unit and a wall mount heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit. The investigation is still ongoing.